Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A new look and some new updates


I think, I pray, I hope the above 20 degree weather is here to stay! This sitting in the sun and stretching thing is GLORIOUS. I feel like a happy cat. 


Hi friends!

Today I realized that I do have the time and desire to write on here occasionally. That time is now being used by watching Friends and surfing Instagram or Facebook after the kids go to bed. Now I can watch Friends AND blog! I kept wanting to write more and more with my Instagram photos so I knew I needed to get back on here and give this little blog a update.

I changed the name and in turn am bringing a new focus to my writing on here. I will still have updates on life with the kids and peaks into our business and home life but I will also write more about my running. I have a deep desire for running right now. The fire is strong and I haven't felt this determined to train since my last Boston Marathon in 2009.

I have been really thinking about running fast again. This means I have to do the little things. I have to get my core back in action. I have to start doing drills and strides again. I have to do more than just squeeze in a run.

My first step was setting up accountability and focus for myself. So a few weeks back I contacted Mollie from Piece of Cake Running for training help. I wanted a training plan and maybe coaching. Mollie is crazy fast and also lives right near my home town a few hours away. Her sense of humor and the fact that she is currently pregnant with her second baby made it seem like she would be a good fit for me. I just started a 24 week training plan that she made up. If you are looking for some outside help go check out her website. The plans are really affordable and so well made. I am a simple girl when it comes to motivation. I like external motivation and I struggle with internal. Running in a busy area can keep my pace speedy, having a plan written down, telling a few people what my goals are, these things all motivate me to keep going. So having Mollie make up this training plan was a good kick in the pants.

I ran 4 miles with 10X100m strides yesterday. I havn't done 10X100 strides in years and I used to do them all the time in HS and college. They hurt so good.

Today I ran my longest run in a year and a half. 9 miles at about an 8:35 average pace. I really wanted to run closer to 9 min. pace and I tried to take the first few miles slow. I also wanted to run on feel and today a controlled easy pace was faster, cant complain about that I guess!  I took a quick break at mile 6 at my house to eat a spoonful of honey and a drink of water. I didn't have any energy gel so the honey worked well! As my long runs get longer I might have to make this happen more or break out the fuel belt.



I have a bit of a achey left knee and ankle (its always the left leg!) so I took a snow bath after.




Today the kids were at their grandparents so its a work day for me. But I also have the flexibility to take a break and run and I am so thankful for that. I try to take each training day as it comes. With a full life that is the best I can do. I look at each day and see when I can fit in my run. Then I just do it. Every run I finish gives me the motivation for the next. If I decide to get out of my PJ's and stop drinking that "after the kids go to bed" beer and jump on the treadmill for a few miles once, I know I can do it again if I have to. And you know what? I never regret a run.

Road race season starts up this coming weekend with a local 5k and the next weekend with a 10k. Then a few weeks after that a Half Marathon. I am looking forward to seeing where I am at with my fitness by running these like good strong tempo runs. My goal race for the year is to get as close to a PR as I can in a Half Marathon in Sept. So I have a lot of time between then and now to get fit again and I am excited for it.

And a photo of Lily eating, shes 6 months! That blows the mind!





No comments:

Post a Comment