(Just enough snow outside left to make my favorite ice pack: snow in a bag! It really forms to the joint)
Overall running is going well. Last week was my first week really doing the extra stuff; strides, yoga, core work every night. This is the core work I started with.
But both of my knees have been giving me trouble. Weak core, a few extra pounds, an up in running intensity and a bit in mileage plus tight muscles = mad knees. I usually dont have knee pain as a running issue so its new for me. A few weeks ago the left one started bugging me after I did some strides up a hill and then just when that went away the right one totally lost it yesterday. I only got 3 post run strides in before it just didn't like me anymore. I have self diagnosed it as my lower hamstring as its on the back inside. That makes more sense because I have had some hamstring issues and I know I have tight quads. During yoga on sunday we did this great quad stretch and the only people who had to modify it to is easiest level was me and the other runner in the room, ha! I am icing and taking today and maybe tomorrow off. It was supposed to be a long run day but I think I can bump that to Thursday.
Its frustrating because I am sure I have lots of small weaknesses and tightness in muscles that are causing it. But I want to get stronger and I need to do strides, speed, overall exercises to do that and its a balance to do those without hurting myself while I get back into fitness. Fingers crossed its a minor setback.
I did do a 5k as a hard effort tempo style run on Saturday. I cursed myself the first mile for deciding it was a good idea but by the end I was pretty happy and had a nice little runners endorphin high to go along with it. It was such a small race and I messed up my watch that I didn't get an exact time but I think it was in the 23:50 range. Its nice to see some progress in just a few months.
I have a 10k planned for Sunday and if my knee feels better the smart thing to do would be to take things easy for a bit. So I don't think I will be pushing myself there too much, but I am really looking forward to being out in the running community again. I want to find a group to run with and maybe a track to get on in the spring for some speed work.
Until then here are some shots of the kiddos...
Wes decided that he needed a beard while painting yesterday, washable paint is our friend!
And I cherish the time I get with just Miss Lily while Wes naps on my days with the kids. Their nap schedules don't line up yet but that means I get a good amount of one on one time with each of them during the day so that makes it easier and more enjoyable. Though I swear she is fussier when she doesn't have her brother to watch, that kid is baby magic!
I also realized that its hard to rest your legs and just be a bit sore and achey with little kids/babies. I'm always running around the house and getting up and down off the floor that I really feel those little spots flare up! But I'm sure its better for overall fitness to stay active. No more lazy recovery days on the couch for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment