Thursday, March 12, 2015

Yoga convert

After college I helped coach a local High School Cross Country team. I remember joking a bit with the other coach about the team that would do Yoga before a race. Thinking, why didn't they just stretch like everyone else? But then I got pregnant and I started going to a local Prenatal Yoga. At first it felt really awkward and all this talk about energy and connection when I would have called it a deep burn. I kept at it because I really liked being around other pregnant women, we could talk about our pregnancies and really connect. Then towards the end and for sure during my second pregnancy Yoga turned into something more. I really started to enjoy the breathing and the moves and the fluidity of it. I started to know what those crazy terms meant and understand the feelings they were talking about.

So today on my run I knew I needed some serious stretching after. I haven't been to yoga in a few weeks and my after run stretching routine (or not) wasn't cutting it. I had a bit of a naggy left knee and IT band. Something that bugs me on and off quite often.

So I quickly searched for a Yoga cool down for runners on YouTube and found this one:



I kind of love how relaxed and real this woman is and I am totally not having any knee or IT band pain now a few hours after! I know if I didn't do this cool down I would be feeling it. So I wanted to share it. I am kind of amazed at how well it worked to loosen up just the right things for me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment