(Not me, but a picture of the course and a runner from the race from the GMAA facebook page)
They changed the course of this race since I ran it last in 2009. I won it that year, I was fit and training for Boston and it is one of the only road races I won since college. I think I ran it in about 43 minutes. It was and still is a very hilly course. Its beautiful Vermont though with dirt roads and farms and just a bit of snow on the ground. Oh and it was maybe, 10 degrees this year, the coldest day for weeks. We were a hard core bunch out there! This year I ran it over a min. per mile slower, 51:30 for the 10k race. And finished with one thought in my mind.
I have some serious work to do.
But I have also come a long way. I remember those first weeks back from my time off after being pregnant and having Lily where I could not even go under 9 min. pace for even part of a mile and had to walk up hills. And it wasn't a bad race, I felt like I gave it a good strong effort and got a good hill workout out of it. I got a nice little runners high after and my legs felt really good for the cool down. Plus they had cider donuts and cider after, yummy!
I will admit I was fighting off the start of a cold, was too hungry for it, and also went out slowly to warm up my hamstrings enough. Thankfully my hamstrings/knees have responded really well to stretching and some work a PT friend did on them last week an are no longer hurting! There were days last week when I was sore but after the first mile of warm up running actually made them loosen up and feel better. Sometimes taking time off isn't the best thing, and thankfully running and proper stretching after made it better. I also was just not very brave mentally for the race. I knew I could finish but just didn't feel like pushing too much out of my comfort zone, that I realize could totally have been this cold too I didn't fully realize I had. But I do want to work on that for the next race.
I am ready to do the work and looking forward to next year when I will be stronger for this race.
Thats part of the reason I braved the wind and 10 degree temps to run it, I know I am not my best but I also know these races are good reminders of why I do it. They also show me where I am, honestly.
Goals for this week:
Get healthy from this cold and rest whenever I can. Like right now as both kiddos are napping.
Do all planned runs
Do strides and see how knees feel - Start doing drill work again too
Do nightly core work (10 min or so)
I find setting mini goals are really helping me and just not over thinking my current fitness. A proper training plan is a progression and my speed will come back once I start working on it. I am so looking forward to that.

No comments:
Post a Comment