Friday, February 6, 2015

Running Goals 2015




I am starting to feel like there is some good things on the horizon. I am starting to look to my running again and feeling like I want to get fit and get some competitive times back in me. In 2009 I ran my last marathon (Boston) and felt like I needed a break after doing 4 in 3 years plus all those years of college and highschool competitive running. Then Torrey and I got married and I ran on and off the next year or so. Then we decided to start trying to have a baby so I didn't push myself running. Then we had that first baby. Then just when I was kinda getting back into it but also thinking about when we were going to have our second I got pregnant again, and then, of course, had Lily so now....now... I can think about running again... phew!

I am pretty excited about it. I have a half marathon planned for April locally. It wont be any stellar time but I signed up to keep myself accountable running this winter. I dont want to push anything too much while I am still breastfeeding and have all these hormones surging through my body. But maybe in 2016 there will be a marathon plan. But there are so many steps and mini goals before then. So many stages after a 4 year hiatus.

For me there is the running I do when I am busy. The running I do a couple days a week to just not lose it all. The running I do with no plan and no future and that is what the last 4 years have been with short bursts of training. But now I want to do more. I want to train. I know life with a small business and two little kids means a more relaxed schedule.

(This is the first winter I have been running these streets since we moved into Burlington and am so thankful the city plows and salts the sidewalks, its a runners dream!)


So here is my list of mini goals and ways to achieve them:

1. Run 4-5 days a week: I mainly try to do a 2 days on/ one day off schedule. It seems to work really well for me. I can focus in such small chunks. I can carve out a bit of time when I look at it in such small chunks.

2. Increase long run up to 10 or so miles no matter my race distance: Once a week is a good goal to get out and just run without having to cut it short for kids or life. Since I am training for at most half marathons these arent 2 hour runs but long enough to push it. I am up to about 6 miles as my long run now and it feels so good. Honestly it takes me 3 miles or so to warmup so the long run is so necessary to get a run in where I feel fit and strong and have to push myself the last few miles. This also means to keep the long run 'long' even if I am only doing 5ks or something this summer.

3. Lose about 15lbs of baby weight: It is SLOWLY coming off. I am still about 10-15lbs heavier then I have ever been running (except when pregnant). This means my joints and body is just not used to carrying that weight around. I am actually shocked that I dont feel it more. Also so very few of my running clothes fit. Ugh. I am working with ONE pair of tights and I just refuse to buy more. In the last month or so I have lost about a pound a week. I am almost about to go down a jean size but I still have a ways to go. I know the long runs will help as well as my next goal...

4. Get in one hard workout a week: Tempo run, fartlek run, hill repeats, progression run, ladder run: Something that pushes me with speed and heart rate. These burn the calories and make me feel strong and fit. I do not want to get in a LSD (long slow distance) rut. They are a little scary but so so worth it when done.


Got the Lauren Fleshman Believe Training Journal for Christmas and LOVE IT!

5. RUN WITH PEOPLE: I am looking for a community and outside sources to keep me accountable. Re-join the local running team. Run with my neighbor friend in the evenings after the kids go to bed. Squeeze other times in to run with other friends. Step out of my comfort zone and join a group of people I don't know very well. Also stay connected to the online and instagram community of strong supportive runners that I get motivation from.

6. Take opportunities: When the neighbor that loves to hang out with our kids offers say YES. When the relative or friend offers say YES. When the HUSBAND offers say YES. When they nap at the same time, jump on the treadmill.  Also stop the guilt. Go run. Feel good. Be a happier and healthier mom/friend/wife for it after.

7. Do outside strength work: Mostly this means go to a weekly yoga class because I am the worst at strength work from home. I also like doing drills and strides after and during runs so I want to get back into those. The only other thing that helps in this department is Jillian Michaels workout videos on off days, for some reason I do anything that woman tells me to.

Here is Lily planking- I get my motivation from her, baby planking is the cutest!



8. Sign up for races: Race often and a lot. Race locally but find some good new races an hour or so away. I am not one of those runners that will only hit a road race if I am in shape. Road races FUEL me. I love the atmosphere and the community. If I sign up for lots of little races then I keep running. Just having it in the back of my mind even if I am not 'racing' it keeps me going. So this year I am going to find some fun little 5ks and 10ks and drag some friends along too. Oh and since my kids get up early anyways I find heading to a road race at 7 am isn't nearly as hard as it used to be.

My next race: Sap Run 10k in March : Last time I ran this in 2009 I won it. Oh gosh, I wont be anywhere close to that this time but it will still be a fun muddy good time!

Okay Tessa, LETS DO THIS!

Anyone else with me?? Ready to get fit in 2015. Be realistic and hit some goals?!

Oh and here is my #runlikeagirl photo motivation.





No comments:

Post a Comment