Thursday, May 18, 2017

Well, Well, Well...


 (Unplugged Half Marathon April 2017)


Im back! Ive added a few posts I moved over from my failed Wordpress blogging experiment from last year and I'm ready to randomly write again.

I miss writing, when something comes to my head, some topic I am interested in needs to be expressed. I could write in a journal or just on the computer but for some reason I dont. I cant even keep my one sentence a day journal going for more than a few days at a time. But Im not giving up!

On running:
I did have a good winter of training and finally after over a year of consistent running I got the big time drop in the Half Marathon I was looking for and ran a 1:36 and change in early April. Three out of the last four half marathons were all 1:40 flat so that was a welcome improvement and got less than a minute away from my all time PR from 2008. As I crossed the finish line I was so happy to have felt so much stronger than a year before, but also felt like I did give it my all and said out-loud "That was worth it". I meant that the training was worth it, the sticking to the schedule, the getting my 5 runs in a week, was worth it. But the reality was this winter was tough. I felt strong but towards the end of the training block my mental state wasn't great. I was sick of putting some other life things on hold to get the runs in. I was sick of tiring myself out. I wasn't running too much, 5 days a week, but it was quality stuff. After a year I felt like that race really mentally helped me realize that I COULD do it again. But I also needed a break.

So here I am over a month out getting 20-25 miles in a week and just rolling with it. I am running more trails lately and really liking the strength I can get out of it. I am looking into a few trail races this summer to try something different, something that I can be a newbie at and not have relative times.

I want to keep running in my life and maintain fitness. I dont want to have to crawl and scrape my way back up like I did the past few years. I think if I maintain steady running that isn't taxing, if I decide to throw a more intense training cycle in once or twice a year I can do that without sacrificing all my energy. I remember a local older running friend telling me that years ago. That I needed to just run at least a half hour most days of the week, week in and out consistently. Then I could go for broke training once in a while.

Its hard finding a ground that feels good. But I am really happy with how far I have come over the past two years. Two years ago I was struggling so much, feeling so wobbly and large after having two kiddos. I know that is normal but after my daughter I really felt like I would never get to a state of fitness like this again. That my new normal and new body would always feel a little off. But with the help of Mollie Turner (my coach) at Piece of Cake Running and doing so many JasYoga Videos (balance is amazing for core work!) and just a whole lot of time here I am. My core is strong again, my legs are strong again and my body feels cleansed after a good strong effort run. That is what I wanted. For running to feel like it was right, like it is just what I need after anxiety and life creeps in a little too far. I have learned so much about my running and myself these past few years, its been bumpy for sure, but worth it.

Also if you want to read a really strong article about girl and women runners this Lauren Fleshman piece is stunning. It gave me goosebumps, she writes down so many thoughts ive had in my head over the years. So necessary: Dear Younger Me Lauren 

Throwing kisses to Torrey and the kids cheering at mile 7



No comments:

Post a Comment