(more of this please)
I have always been naturally frugal. Not in the cheapskate way, but in the way that doesn't really buy into the consumerist culture BS. Deep down not believing that things can buy happiness or fix problems. My parents were always ones to lean towards experiences instead of stuff with our family. We went to Europe twice as kids on teachers salaries by exchanging houses in the summer with European families. Looking back it seems luxurious but I'm sure it was saved for.
(Early 90's bowl cuts for the win)
When we were just married and growing our business it was the same way. I hated debt and was scared of credit cards I couldn't afford. I saw lots of friends buying brand new clothes over and over again at chain stores and I honestly had no idea how they did it. I assumed they made way more money than me or had parents paying for it. While some of that may be true it probably was more the case they they went into debt for it or lived pay check to paycheck when they were earning a decent amount. I would scrounge thrift stores for fabrics, finding some amazing vintage finds. I would decorate our teeny tiny apartments with funky thrifted lamps, take hand me down furniture from relatives and buy lots of my clothes from thrift store racks. I was often disappointed with the quality and price of new 'off the rack' clothes and felt like I got such a deal when I could score gap, levis and JCrew jeans for $5 instead.
I kick myself for buying into the over consumption trap when I had the kids. Something about being a sleep starved parent made me turn to the internet for help. We were starting to make a bit more money too so frugality was less of a necessity. I bought a few too many gadgets that were supposed to help my kiddo sleep, sit, eat, play. I saw too many 'sponsored' posts on too many mommy blogs that swayed me into the cheap plastic this or that. So many things that were not needed, so many things that I ended up donating or giving away in a few short years. I did and do often buy used for the kids but I didn't need all of that either. Their drawers are packed with t-shirts and pants, kids clothes are cute but if I already have 15 t-shirts one more vintage find at the thrift store wont help.
So we are cutting down again. Going on an Uber Frugal Month spurred on by Mrs Frugalwoods.
I want to save for some big things like retirement, a second bathroom, adventures and travel, my kids education. And the truth is if we buy the stuff left and right, if we keep falling into the trap that the big companies want us to be in, that wont happen. You know that feeling when you are shopping just to shop, when you buy another shirt or pair of pants because they fit and are a deal but you don't actually need them, when you add something to the closet or pantry that you find months later and still don't know what to do with? I don't like that feeling. I want to use up and wear out the things we have so we can use our hard earned money for other things. Life adventure things.
If you would like to follow long or join that would be great!
Here are some other of the bloggers and podcasts I have been digging lately that are along this topic:
Cait Flanders
Martinis and Your Money - I have been listening to this non stop! So good!
Live Free Creative Co
Next up: EAT IT ALL UP - Trying to hack our $1200+ monthly grocery and food bill!
No comments:
Post a Comment