Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Strength back week one March 02-9th



All honesty, this is basically a workout journal for myself more than a good read. So be warned... its a little dry. But I am trying to stay accountable.

Spring 2020 Goals: Get balance and strength back in weak areas. Feel stronger overall and more mobile, and get back into running without foot pain.

March 02

Core and More video on Daily Burn : 20 min, liked it! Able to do modified or regular versions of all exercises. I think i'm going to try to do this one video a few times a week.

Then outside on the sidewalk in front of the house while kids watched a show. I did all the drills i could remember. Knee holds, high knees, butt kicks, side slides, grapevine, toy soldiers, A skips... Im sure there used to be more but I cant remember. I did two houses worth (ha! maybe 50 yards?) I want to work up to a longer distance but thats a good start. I felt wobbly and slow, I miss that fast twitch! But it will come with practice I'm sure. I just cant be afraid to look like a fool in front of my neighbors for 10 min.

Then 4 x strides. These were probably close to 100m but a little shy. Heart rate up, focused on good form and getting my knees up and feet of the ground quickly. Im pretty sure they were at a pace that I used to run a 10k for, ha! But I didn't even time them, thats not what its about, its about just being consistent  and DOING IT.

Done in 30min, see... not that hard Tessa!

March 03:
6am Spin class at the YMCA, Sub today, not the best music but still sweaty! (Note in writing this a week after and now with the Coronaviris I'm not sure I will go to spin for a few weeks. So much close breathing, its amazing how much has changed in a week!)

March 4th:
50min run/walk
3-5 min run intervals with 2 min walk breaks. This keeps my form in check as I come back to running. Also makes it feel powerful and way less of a slog.
Did sit ups, push ups and heal raises as well as a few drills and lunges before
4x20 sec strides at the end

March 5th
Was planing on going to gym for strength workout but it was nice out and I decided to connect with a friend and go for a decent walk with her instead. My mental devil coach tries to tell me that I should have gone to the gym but my reality angel says I made the right choice, nothing is ruined, tomorrow is just another day forward.

March 6th
30 min balance and strength Daily Burn workout while the kids ate dinner. Balance is really good work for me and probably the route of my running issues so I try to find those videos to push myself. Its not easy for me!

2x10 sit ups and knee push ups and 2x20 heal raises. That is seriously where I am at with sit ups and push ups, 10 feel hard. But I know if I can do this simple set multiple times a week I WILL GET BETTER. I remember in 9th grade we did 25 of each x 2 sets before practice and it took me a while to be able to, but I then did them for years! I will slowly work my way up off my knees and to 20 each I just have to KEEP DOING THEM.

I try to remember if I do 20 a day 4 times a week thats 80 reps. Even if I did as many as possible only one day a week that would be way less reps total. So I try to think about the weekly total more than how many I can do in one session.

March 7-9th
Core and more workout the 7th morning then...
Family Ski trip to Smugglers! First time skiing in almost 20 years, hard to believe it took so long. I took lessons both days and then did a few runs by myself. I really enjoyed it and I am really excited to start doing it as a family in the winters. The kids loved it by the end of their two lessons too and didn't want to stop! Glad to find a winter activity we can do as a family. The main reason I stoped 20 years ago is because running became my life, indoor track and then college track took over and it was too risky to go. Im glad to finally come back to it now.






No comments:

Post a Comment