Monday, March 2, 2020

Hello! - lets talk strength



Well, well, well. Is 2020 and I havn't written on here in almost three years. But why not start again now? I was thinking I want to do a 'strength training' month and have no accountability. Instagram is too addicting for me so I tend to take a week or two off if I feel like im on it too much, so I don't want to be forced to post every day. It leads to lots of check ins to see if people are reading... damn internet. Some days I want to take a month off from the internet all together! Anyways. Here is a quick life update for anyone still following:

Kids are 7 and 5! I know, its insanity, apparently time does not slow down and they will get older and there is nothing I can do to stop it. But they can eat their damn oatmeal by themselves and I can type away in the other room, so there is that.

I have not been running for months and months. I took fall 2019 totally off, started again in the spring, ran thru the summer even though both my feet were killing me every day and ran a race in August. Then said FUCK IT and stopped again. I HATE having my feet hurt and the only way it went away fully was to stop running. After talking to PTs, turns out I'm weak in weird places. Here is the deal, when I ran my best in HS and College I did warm up, drills, strides, weight room, plyometrics and my running workout almost daily. So years of basically just doing my running workout with little other strength has lead to slow slogs with a body that has no power. I miss power, I loved short distances (800m) in HS. I love to go fast, I have gotten SO FAR away from what I loved about running that I got sick of running all together. But I know I love short intervals and drills and strides. Always have, always will. So I've decided I should start there.

Here is what our practice looked like in HS and college for the most part:

Mile warm up - HS it was FAST (we were nuts) college it was just warmup
Sit ups, push ups, calf raises against the wall
10-15 drills - high knees, butt kicks, side slides and the like
4-6 : 50 to 100m strides
THEN THE RUN or INTERVAL WORK
then a couple times a week weight room work

See all that stuff I'm now missing? My body does not like not doing that stuff.

Alright so, I want to start with strength this month. March is here, I was basically sick all February so that month is a write off. We have the Daily Burn App and a YMCA membership, so no excuses. I guess I will check in weekly to see if I did it. Follow along and join in if you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment