Over the years I have been asked for present ideas for runners (or myself!) many times. Honestly its really easy for me to think of a long list! For the most part I will wear a cotton tee and amazon brand spandex shorts for short runs. But if you are training for something longer or running in nasty weather its essential to have the right gear for the job. A lot of times I ask for these items as gifts because I cant get myself to spend over $50 for something other than running shoes.
Heres my list for 2024. Some of these are tried and true I have used for decades. Some are new items that I now love. And a few are on my own Christmas List. In no particular order.
1. Bombas Lightweight Athletic Half Calf Socks
These are my unicorn socks! I dont like a lot of bulk in my shoes, even in the dead of winter. The length is PERFECT to cover the tights ankle gap. And the fun colors actually add to that brightness we need running at dawn and dusk to stay safe. Mens and Womens styles avilable, Im in LOVE.
2. Koala Clip Phone holder
Years ago I was lucky enough to grab a early version of this when I ran on the Oiselle Club team with Kristina the founder/owner. Its genius and has been on every run with me since! If you wear a sports bra + cary a phone this is the item you need as a runner. Phone stays dry and warm (longer battery life in the dead of winter!) and is still easy to reach when changing podcasts or checking messages.
3. Garmin Watches
4. The Feed
Finally a way to try every type of pre, during, post, recovery fuel in one purchasing location. I really enjoy their options and am now addicted to LNMT and Scratch Electrolytes. These sample packs are a great option, or a gift card!
So this may only apply to the athletes with small to medium sized boobs on your list. But I have yet to find a sports bra that lasts as long as these do. They honestly never get stanky or stretch out. I would say make sure to size up as the compression is so good! They do make lots of bras for bigger chested folks, I just don't have personal experience. I'm sure there is one for almost everyone! Oiselle is also my favorite long lasting women's gear company in general.
I have yet to find a running brand tight that works for harsh Vermont winters. However look no further than the nordic ski brands. Perfect bottom layers with wind protection and thick enough you dont need to double up. They do generally run small and dont come in bigger sizes so I am looking for an alternative currently, but if you are a smaller runner who gets cold easy check them out!
Bonus: For the dudes, insulated shorts are the way to go! Check out these from Rossignol
I recently got off Instagram and upgraded my Strava instead. Its basically social media for endurance athletes, plus a training log. Not every runner likes seeing what your friends and nemesis are up to. "Wow 8 friends already ran by the time I woke up at 7am?! cool. cool." But if you are struggling to find consistent motivation it sure does help!
I got one of these for free. I use it ALL THE TIME. No complaints. I don't run with it but its waiting for me before and after! Great alternative to plastic.
9. Massage Gun
My little secret... I never liked foam rolling. I knew I should, I would sometimes make myself do it. But honestly, more often than not, it sat in the corner or was used as a weapon/shield for my kids play sessions. Thankfully science has told us Massage guns work just as well! The vibrations seem to be really good pre and post workout to prime the body and help it recover. I find them way more enjoyable to use and I don't have to get on the floor and hold my body in strange positions. Win-Win
I love evening runs but if its past 4pm in the winter you better believe I'm slapping on something reflective + blinky before I go for my run. I never trust a car to see me, I even wear them when I know I am running on well lit sidewalks. I love a blinky arm band and a reflective vest combo.
You know how everyone swears by compression socks to improve circulation and ease foot pain but they are terrible to get into? Well Toe Spacers also do the trick! I have a bunion and arthritis in my big toe joint and these help so much. Wear them for as little as ten min a day. I love them an hour or two after a run or anytime my feet start getting achy. Great for the non-athletes in your life too.










No comments:
Post a Comment