(This is from the Oiselle Flight Manual I got with my jersey last summer, I taped it on the wall then, with the hope that that window would happen in the future.)
Sound crazy? Well thats what running is feeling like right now. Last year I was honestly thinking I just might not be a fast runner anymore. Its all relative, I know my times would be fast to some people. But I had been running 'for fun' with no plan and no consistency for 5/6 years. To be in this place where 4 miles was not an easy run, more like a struggle buss, and 9 min pace was a wobbly floppy mess it was strange. Every year my times got slower and after 3 years of pregnancy/babies I was starting to think it was my new normal.
But then I made a leap and a promise to myself. I got a coach (Mollie), I got a good solid training plan that fit into my life. I realized when in the year I had more time to train and when I did not. I realized I would rather train hard in the winter than in the heat of the summer. I got serious about making sure I got my runs in. I haven't done that for real that I remember since training for the Boston marathon in 2009. No wonder I didn't feel like myself running anymore, no wonder some days (most days) I didn't even enjoy it all that much. All the days were up to me, all the pressure was on me, and I had no idea what I was doing.
I am running smart. Now my year looks like training blocks and then planing legitimate time off. The crazy thing is this type of training is so much easier than just running 'for fun' and 100% more enjoyable. I am working harder, seeing much better rewards (dropping post baby middle weight and dropping times!) and am so much happier with running. I get excited and giddy for workout days to do intervals and push myself. Long runs give me nerves but when they are done I am so thrilled! Easy days I just get to go slow (and I am being good about going slow!) and off days are OFF and I get two a week and its great! I ran 117 miles last month and have ran more 20+ mile weeks in a row than I have in many many years.
The consistency with my schedule means after a few weeks I know how to work each days run in. I just think about it for 5 min. the day before and communicate with Torrey so we both know when I am planing on running. I know that Tuesdays I run from work in the afternoon, Weds I do a easy recovery run on the treadmill while the kids nap, Thursday I run in the evening when Torrey feeds the kids dinner and am home by bedtime. Saturday I run whenever and sunday its long run morning while Torrey and the kids have a slow morning. Honestly having kids works well with this because I am not partying or having random late nights (now that they are sleeping well!). Our life is structured with work more now too so I can then structure in my runs.
Anyways, its happening. I have a goal race in April, a half marathon where I am going for sub 1:40. Where I will wear my Oiselle jersey for the first time because I believe I am worthy of it (I know that is lame, that I should have always worn it to races but this is the honest truth, I knew I was better). I know I can run that time as long as I stay healthy and that is really exciting. I know I can also see 22/21 min for the 5k again with this training and that is really exciting too. Its been so many years since speed was in my legs. But without all that down time, without all that slogging and sloppy running, without all the 23, 24, 25 min. 5ks I don't know if I would appreciate these times as much. I really appreciate being able to run 7:30 pace again. I really appreciate being able to drop my times and improve my fitness.
Guess what : Not running 'for fun' is actually really really fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment