Sunday, January 31, 2016

Half Marathon training - RECOVERY


 Running around a college is great in the winter. They always have the best plowed and taken care of sidewalks and roads. 

Its been a fun last month on the running front. I feel my confidence blooming, and my fitness coming back. I know for most people being able to run a few times a week would be really in shape/fit. But for me and my body I don't really feel fit until I get some serious training under my belt. Years ago this was 40-50 mile weeks and running about a min. per mile faster than I am now. I don't know if I will see training like that again for a few years but for now things are starting to come together. I am LOVING my coaching and training plan from Mollie at Piece of Cake Running. Seriously having a momma of two littles who is a fast runner be my coach is pretty much the best fit. She knows whats up. I just finished a 32 mile week with a 12 mile long run. I also had a 400/200m workout this week that was SO FUN, I miss speed work bad. I have consistently been running 5 days a week for the last month and it is starting to feel really good again. I really missed this feeling.

I am also starting to see how staying fit and training this much might fit into my life better than I thought it would. It just takes some extra planing and being a little extra nice to myself.
Views from my run in New Orleans! We met some good friends there for an adult get away weekend and it was glorious, and too short. I love that city!

Im finding the hardest part of getting back into running isn't getting the runs in. Its recovery.

You hear this a lot from seasoned runners, that recovery is the most important part. Recovery with young kids and a busy job is rough. But I am trying to make it a priority. Here is what works best for me in order to have energy to run and live the life I want to. Some of these I am working on and some of these I find easy to incorporate.

1- SLEEP: Obviously with two young kids this varies. Maybe 1-2 nights a week I get a really sold 8-9 hours. That usually still has at least one wake up for various reasons (baby, toddler, dog, cat, bladder). I wish I could sleep a bit better a few more nights. This means I have to get my shit together to get to bed earlier. I hear a lot of working parents or business owners sacrificing sleep for work/life. I can not do that. This time last year I was waking up every two hours with our daughter for MONTHS. It was hell, really. It makes me depressed, anxious, exhausted, cranky, foggy... not worth it.

Goal: Get to bed earlier and do not bring my phone to bed with me

2- FUEL: I love to refuel right after a run. I try really hard to do this within 15min of workouts and long run days. Chocolate milk, boiled eggs, Picky Bars, PB&J, smoothie, something with solid protein. My highschool coaches used to make us bring snacks for right after our runs, and would bring Cliff Bars with them EVERYWHERE. It works really. I am less sore the next day, I am less starving later. I am good friends with food, we are buddies, I rarely have food guilt and let myself just enjoy it as one of my favorite things in life. I almost see it as a feminist issue sometimes, what the hell are these bazaar messages women give to girls and other women about food?? Obviously I have strong feelings in this department. Here are some past rants if you are interested, here and here.

Goal: Eat more greens/veggies always. Keep more easy snacks, premade food (oatmeal, chicken strips) ready for easy breakfast/lunch.


3- STRENGTH AND STRETCH: I am happily addicted to two types of stretching these days. This Yoga with Adrienne Cool down video (its magic after a long run) and my JasYoga subscription. I always half ass stretching by myself and half ass doing core work unless I have a video/class I can go along with. These have been so helpful.

Goal: Do them more, even if its not right after the run. Even if its after the kids go to bed. Or when they are playing. They really help, anytime.

4 - REST: I am a fidgity, go...go...go person. Its really hard for me to keep my hands still. Its really hard for me to NOT do things. But I need to take more time to relax. I don't need to surf the internet, play with my phone, or even fidget around the house so much. I need to spend more time letting myself just be.

Goal: Spend time resting if the kids are napping or playing contently. I dont always need to start a new project or go out to the store. Let myself spend more time doing nothing and processing my goals and life.


My new mantra is "Be nice to yourself" and I think it should be yours too!
Let some things go, do what really makes you happy, be with those that make you your best self, spend time doing things you love and spend time doing nothing.

What is your favorite way to be nice to yourself?? Id love to hear!


No comments:

Post a Comment