Me running Cross Country circa 1998
Back in the day I could run low 18's for a 5k - Speedy!
I have this theory that to be fast/good I have to do high mileage. Because when I was fast in high school and college I was doing high mileage (50+ mile weeks consistently). But what I kind of have left out of my training the past few years was any speed/intensity. Ive had a few new revelations, I realized maybe what was just as helpful as the high mileage was the fact that they were quality intense miles. We had our easy/rest days but also plenty of back to back days with intense parts. Things like hill workouts, interval training, tempo runs, and fartlek. I was doing slow miles and not too many of them. So hummm.... no wonder I feel like crap.
Finishing my first marathon at Vermont City 2007 - 3:19
Maximize Your Training Time
I read this article today from Runners World and chatted with a friend recently who kind of turned me onto this theory. That I can run 4 days a week, up my overall intensity and not worry so much about my mileage and get faster/stronger. I honestly don't see how it wont work because I am totally lacking in speed right now. Running a 7:30 mile is hard, I can run 8's for a while but I have literally no speed. This is all relative, I know, for some 8's is fast. But I have run much, much faster in the past. I miss it.
Its always good to have goals so here are mine for the next year or so.
1. Do one long run 6+ miles, one interval/fartlek run, one tempo or hill repeats run, and one easy/recovery run each week. The total mileage of the other runs should be from 2.5-5 miles.
2. Ignore cumulative mileage
3. Run more 5ks and 10ks
4. Race a 5k in the spring and try to actually run fast. I would be thrilled to even just go under 21 min again.
5. Be as consistent as possible
6. As always: MORE - Stretch/Drills/Core/Striders
As Olympian Carrie Tollefson says - Time to "GET AFTER IT"


No comments:
Post a Comment